Approved Document E
Approved Document E to the Building Regulations (England and Wales) gives specific acoustic performance requirements for door assemblies in a number of situations.
In “dwelling-houses, flats and rooms for residential purposes” (Requirement E1), a minimum acoustic performance of 29dB Rw is required.
For schools (Requirement E4), a minimum of 30dB Rw is requirement - 35dB Rw for music rooms. Please refer to Building Bulletin 93 for more details on this.
Acoustic Containment is also covered in Section 5 of the Scottish Technical Handbooks and Technical Booklets G and G1 to the Building Regulations (Northern Ireland).
These Approved Documents are not mandatory, they are only guidance. However, they are considered to be the usual means of proving compliance with the Building Regulations.
You may also find our FAQs on Acoustic Sealing for Door Assemblies helpful.
Other useful links:
- This link to The Planning Portal provides copies of the Approved Documents for England & Wales.
- This link to the Scottish Building Standards Agency provides copies of the Scottish Technical Handbooks.
- This link to Building Control Northern Ireland provides copies of the Building Regulations for Northern Ireland.
Relevant Lorient links:
- Acoustic Sealing Systems
- Real Doorsets Real Solutions
- CPD Seminar: Performance Door Design: The Basics of Sound Reduction
For more information please contact Technical: Telephone: +44 (0) 1626 834252 e-mail: email@example.com